What Kind of Credit Mistakes Can I Dispute?

By Chandler Sullivan
November 8, 2023 | 2 Min. Read

Your credit report is like your financial report card, influencing your ability to get loans, credit cards, and more. Sometimes, mistakes can creep into your credit report, affecting your credit score negatively. The good news is that you have the right to dispute these errors. But what kind of credit mistakes can you dispute? Let’s break it down.

Common Credit Mistakes You Can Dispute

Incorrect Personal Information

Your credit report should accurately reflect your name, address, Social Security number, and employment details. If you spot any errors in these details, you can dispute them.

Accounts That Don’t Belong to You

If you find accounts on your credit report that you didn’t open, it could be a sign of identity theft. Dispute these accounts immediately to protect your credit.

Late Payments That You’ve Paid on Time

If you made payments on time but your credit report shows them as late, you can dispute these entries. Providing proof of your timely payments can help resolve this mistake.

Accounts That Should Have Been Closed

If you’ve closed a credit account, but it’s still showing as open on your report, dispute this error. It’s important for your report to reflect your current financial status accurately.

Incorrect Account Balances

Check the balances of your credit accounts. If you find discrepancies, especially if they’re higher than they should be, dispute these errors.

Duplicate Accounts

Sometimes, the same account may appear multiple times on your report, which can negatively impact your credit score. Dispute these duplicates to ensure your report is accurate.

Bankruptcies, Tax Liens, or Judgments That Aren’t Yours

If you see bankruptcies, tax liens, or judgments that don’t belong to you, these are serious errors that need immediate dispute. They can significantly harm your creditworthiness.

How to Dispute Credit Mistakes

Gather Evidence

Collect documents, receipts, or any proof related to the mistake you’re disputing. The more evidence you have, the stronger your case.

Contact the Credit Bureaus

File a dispute with the credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion). You can do this online, by phone, or through mail. Clearly explain the mistake and provide your supporting evidence.


Keep track of your dispute. The credit bureaus will investigate and inform you of the results. If the mistake is corrected, ensure your credit report is updated accordingly.

Be Patient

The dispute process can take some time. Stay patient and persistent. Regularly check the status of your dispute and follow up if necessary.