Alert: In honor of Juneteenth, we will be closed Wednesday, June 19th. Learn more

Dispute an error on your credit report

By Chandler Sullivan
July 18, 2022 | 2 Min. Read

Having errors or fraudulent claims on your credit report can negatively impact your credit score big time. It is important to check your credit statement regularly to double-check all your charges to make sure they make sense. If you find yourself in a situation where you need to dispute credit report errors or fraudulent claim, here are some resources to help you out.

How Do I Dispute Credit Report Errors?

1. File a dispute with the credit reporting company

  • When you need to dispute credit report errors in your credit reports such as late payments, overcharges, unexplained fees, or unrecognized payment increases, you can start off by filing a dispute with your credit reporting company – Experian, Equifax, or TransUnion. If you can’t get in contact with a live agent, you should thoroughly explain in a letter or email what the error is, why it may have occurred and screenshots (if applicable) to send in addition to your explanation.
  • You should clearly state your contact information – name, address, and phone number.
  • Request the information to be removed or corrected.
  • If you mail your dispute, make sure to get a return receipt so that you have a record of mailing your letter.

2. File a dispute with your credit card company/furnisher

  • If you identify an error that could be directly related to purchases on a credit card, rent or your bank, you can go directly to the furnisher (the originator who provides the information) and dispute them there. For example, if there is a purchase error reflected on your credit card statement, you can file a dispute for this charge directly with your credit card company. The credit card company will then investigate your dispute with the retailer (or whatever company) to ensure the accuracy of the claims.
  • Make sure you list all the information about why this is an error and any screenshots that may further explain your claim.
  • If you mail your dispute, make sure to get a return receipt so that you have a record of mailing your letter.
  • The credit reporting company will then be notified to correct the information on your credit report.
  • Your dispute history may be held for future reports or provided for credit reports.

3. If you suspect fraud, escalate to fraudulent claims (independently or transferred through card company)

  • If you suspect you are a victim of fraud, lock your card or contact your credit card company or credit reporting company ASAP. Your credit card company will look into this dispute as they potentially freeze your account until things can be sorted out.
  • You may be transferred directly to their fraudulent claims department, otherwise, you can contact Report Fraud FTC directly.
  • The Fair Credit Billing Act states you must report fraudulent charges within 60 days of receiving your billing statement. This means when you received your credit card statement for each month, you have 60 days from the date the report was sent to report fraudulent charges.

Additional resources: