Although it’s cold outside right now, it’s actually a smart time to start your planning for spring and summer family vacations. By getting a jump on plans, you can turn your financially strapped “staycation” into an unforgettable experience.
Consider these smart saving tips:
- Set a price point and do your research. Make sure to identify the actual costs before committing.
- Make it a family fun challenge and get everyone involved. Create incentives for extra money saved and build future fiscal responsibility with your kids.
- Save your change. They may only be pennies and nickels now, but they add up quickly. Resist the temptation to cash in or use these funds frivolously.
- Find a way to save on a daily basis. Can you skip the latte at your favorite coffee shop? Did you need that soda at lunch? Could I eat at home versus going through the drive through?
- Hold a garage sale and get rid of the clutter jamming up your attic, basement and garage. You can do spring cleaning and fundraising all at the same time.
- Take advantage of coupons for the whole family. Coupons aren’t just for groceries. Save on haircuts, clothes, services and even that night out when you are treating yourself. Take these funds and put them in your vacation fund.
- When making your vacation reservations, think about renting an apartment or home instead of hotels. Save money on feeding the family out every meal while on vacation. If you are booking a hotel or all inclusive, book early and look for incentives to do so.
- Use online resources to obtain rental car transportation. Think minimal, avoid renting at the airport and know your insurance needs as many individual auto insurance policies cover them.
Start planning today, get the whole family involved, think big picture savings and look forward to that family vacation of a lifetime.